Category Options
Add Category Edit Heading Group Move Up Move Down
Double-click to start typing
sCarlingford Lough Fisherman's  Republictart typing

Greenore Cooley Fisherman's Association

Carlingford Lough Fisherman;s Republic

Schooldays and more


I  first  attended school  in  the national  school  in Greenore.  The  building has since  being  used as  a  bar known  as  The  BROADWAY  BAR. The end  of  the building  under  the school  bell  was used   as  the village  library  and had  the  books changed  each  month by  the  Louth County Council  Library  Service . My  earliest  recollection of  school  was trying to  write  1935 in  my  copy book. I was 6 years old at the time.


The  school  was just  one  big room,  a  very high  ceiling  a fire  place  at  one  end and  the  teachers desk  beside  the fire,  with  the pupils  desks  set out  in  rows like  the  pews in  the  chapel. A  row  of small  desks  for the  infants  and separate  row  then for  each  class right  up  to  6th.Average 7 or 8 pupils to each class.  Wewere all taught by the   one teacher aMiss Fitch.  I think she lived inCarlingford.   She  came to  school  in an  old  Austin 7  car  which we  had  to push  after  school to  get  it started.   I  remember it  had  celluloid windows  in the  side and  Domnic  Carron picking  at  a small  hole  and making  it  bigger   and  Miss  Fitch giving  him  a good  clatter  on the  jaw  for his  trouble,  he  would have  though it  was no  harm.  He was about 6yrs.  Old at the time.   I think  she  left when  I  got to  1st.  Class. 


The  practice  of the  day was   when the  teacher  who was  a  protestant, gave  religious  instruction all  the  Roman Catholic  children had  to  go  out  and play  for  half an  hour  which we  thought  was great.  However  when Miss  Fitch  left and  Miss  O’Hare in  later  years took  over  took  as  she  was Roman Catholic,  the  situation changed  and  all the  Protestant children  went out  to  play while  we  had to  learn  our catechism.   We  took  all  this in  our  stride as  we  were all  railway  families and  a  close community  and  it only  seemed  natural to  us.  The railway  company  built and  owned  the school  and  maintained it  as  they owned all  the  houses and  only  railway workers  lived  in  the  village.


Miss Fitch   was astrict   disciplinarian.  Some woman  who  lived opposite  the  golf links  complained  to Miss  Fitch  that while  playing  cowboys and  Indians  in  the bushes  opposite  Anglesea Terrace  there  was a  fight  and that  I  was the  ring  leader. It  seems  we had  captured  a boy  and  were tying  him  to the  railings.  She took  me  to the  up  to the  front  of the  class  and told  me  what she  had  heard and  that  I  was  getting the  stick.  I was never asked did I do it.  The stick  was  the handle  of  a wooden  handled  golf club  with  the iron  head  broken off.  I got 3 wallops on each hand.  My hands  were  red and  swollen  for a  few  days but  I  never  told  my  mother as  I  was afraid  she  would give  me  more punishment  for  being bold  at  school. I  was  also not  allowed  out at  3o’clock  with the  other  infants but  made  stay in  school  until the  bigger  ones got  out.  I though  that  this was  the  worst part of  my  punishment.


One day she was teaching some general knowledge.  She asked who walks   with you in the moonlight.  The answer she was looking for was yourshadow.  On  asking Paddy  Carroll (a  brother of  Jimmy  of golf  fame)  Paddy   piped up,  Please  Miss Walty  Brown.  Miss Fitch  was  doing a  line  with a  local  farmer of  that  name.  WellPaddy was in trouble.  She  took Paddy  by  the ear  up  in front  of  the desks  and  went for  the  stick. On  attempting  to give  Paddy  a wallop  of  the stick  on  his rear  end  he  lay  down on  the  floor.  When  she  attempted to land  a  wallop Paddy  would  move around  on  his back  on  the floor,  kick  his big  boots  in the  air  and move  around  on the  floor  as she  circled  attempting to  land  a wallop.  She eventually gave upand things returned to normal.  


I  remember  each morning  in  infants that  the  teacher would  tell  us to  put  our heads  down  and have  a  sleep for  about  half an  hour  while she  went  through all  the  classes one  at  a time  giving  each class  a  lesson to  learn  which she  would  check later.  We  had plastercine  to  play and  make  shapes with  also  a copy  book  and pencil  to  draw with  and  try to  write


The  method  of teaching  all  class by  one  teacher was,  she  would teach  the  first class  a  lesson, get  them  to study  it  while she  did  the same  with other  classes and  then  come back  and  see if  you  had learned  anything.  In first  class  we were  introduced  to the  pen  and ink  All  the desks  had  an ink  well  which was filled  with  ink each  day  by the  teacher  from a  large  bottle for  each  pupil. The  pen  consisted of  a  wooden handle  with  a steel  nib  with a  split  in the  middle  at the  end,  this allowed  the  nib to  be  softer when  in  contact with  the  paper. The  pen  had to  be  held  at  an angle  to  allow a  proper  flow of  ink  to  the  paper. You  used  light pressure  on  the upward  stroke  an more  pressure  on the  downward  stroke  to  produce  nice writing.  If  you put  too  much ink  on  your pen  or  held the  pen  too upright   you  would get  a  blob of  ink  on the  paper.  You had  blotting  paper which  when  pressed on  top  of the  blob  would dry  it  up right  away .  You also  used  the blotting  paper  on what  you  had written  before  you turned  the  page so  it  would not  smudge  should the  ink  be not  properly  dry. You  also  had spare  nibs  for your  pen  as they  would  occasionally break.  You  could probably  write  a line  on  the one  dip  of ink.  There  were fountain  pens  available and  expensive,  which had  a  rubber tube  in  the handle  which  could hold  a  lot of  ink  and last a  long  time but  we  were not  allowed  to use  them  . I  think  they were  allowed  in secondary  schools  and were  used  in the  offices  of the  railway  company.


At  lunch  time we  were  sent out  to  play in  the  school yard  which  extended all  around  the school,  girls  on the  left  hand side  and  boys on  the  right. There  was  a high  wall  at the  back  of the  school  which divided  the  playground and  on  each side  of  the wall there  was  a separate  dry  toilet one  for  boys and  one  for girls.  There was quite an odouron a hot day.  It  was cleaned  out  occasionally by  a  man with  a  horse and  cart.  The surface  of  the playground  was  just earth  and  gravel, a  little  wild grass  on  the girls  side.  We played  football  there with  a  ball the  size  of  a  tennis ball.  The  girls usually  played  hop scotch  and  skipping, they  nearly  had their  own  skipping ropes.


Miss  O’Hare  took over  when  Miss Fitch  left,  and lived  opposite  the school  in  Euston St.  It was her first job andremained there until the school closed down in 1968 when she then gottransferred to the Boher National Schoolto take up the position of Vice Principal where she remained until sheretired.  Somewhere  along the  way  she got  married  and became  Mrs McCumisky.  She told  me  that  (when  she was  90  years old )  that I  was  the first  pupil  she met  on  her first  day  teaching. I  was  standing at  the  door said  good  morning Miss  O’Hare  and opened  the  door for  her  with the  big  key.  Shetold me that made her day.  My motherwould always have us out early.


Miss  O’Hare  had a  different  style  to  teaching, more  of  the carrot  than  the stick.  Irish was only treated asa subject.  We were taught throughEnglish.

If were learning say spelling or mental arithmetic etc.    Miss O,Hare  would  take us  out  and line  us  up  ask  each one  a  question, if  you  got the  answer  right you  got  a bulls  eye  sweet for  every  one you  got  right from  a  gallon tin  of  sweets she  had.  Maybe not  much  today but  during  the war  they  were scarce.  When  the sweets  came  into the  shop  a weeks  supply  would be  sold  out in  a  couple of  hours,  so a  couple  of sweets  were  a treat.  Probably  the most  valuable  thing I  learned  at school  was  the tables  which  I still  can  use  to  this day  and  used daily  in  my work  as  a cabinetmaker  and  joiner. Mental arithmetic  was  very important  as  there was  no  cash registers  to  add up  your  purchases in  shops  and you  had  to rely  on  the man  behind  the counter  not  to make  a  mistake. A  few  of the  big  shops had  mechanical  cash registers  but  could not  work  out the  change  so mistakes  could  be made.  There  were no  pocket  calculators and  only  came in  not  long before  I  retired in  1995.  I never  used  them at  work  but would  do  so now  as  I am  16  years  retired. 


I  remember  on a  history  lesson Miss  O’Hare  standing in  our  usual line  up  asked Pat  O’Hanlon   how did  Red  Hugh O’Donnell  march  his army  so  fast from  Donegal  to the  south  The answer  was  I think  over  mountains, a forced  march and  not  much rest.   Pat  did not  answer   but in  response  to a  quiet  prompt from  his  good friend  Jim  Kearney Pat  replied,  please miss  on  bicycles.


My  class  sat the  first  primary exam  the  first time  it  was used  in  Ireland. We all passed.  There  was an  odd visit  from the  schools  inspector and  the  local priest.  They never bothered us.


I  used  to go  to  England every  year  to visit  my  grandma and  uncle  who lived  in  Yorkshire at  a  place called  Stanley  between Wakefield  and  Leeds. In  1939  my grandma  came  to visit  us  in Greenore  and  agreed with  my  mother that  she  would take  me  back to  England  to educate  me  as there  were  no prospect  of  further education  around  Dundalk outside  Dublin.  My  granddad  came over  to  Greenore some  time  later to  take  me back  with  him although  the  2nd.  World had just started.  The propaganda  of  the time  was  that it  would  be settled  in  a couple  of  months. We  sailed  from Greenore  to  Holyhead on  the  railway owned  ship  the  Slieve  Bloom. Although  used  to carry  loose  cargo and  a  certain amount  of  cattle, it  could  take a  few  passengers 6  or  8. in  the  cabin , which the drovers had,  who looked  after  the cattle  on  the voyage  over  to Holyhead.  It  was a  very  stormy night  and  I remember  going  to the  toilet  on my  hands  and knees  and  the suit  cases  sliding up  and  down the  floor  of the  cabin.  My grandad  just  wedged himself  into  a corner  seat  and read  the  paper. A  few  cattle were  drowned  on board   that  night owing  to  the high  seas,  the drovers  had  a busy  night.


On  arrival  at Holyhead  we  went  up  the  gangway on to  the  pier. The  cargo  area where  we  landed was  the  same layout  as  at Greenore.  The pier about 9ft.  Wide enough and to walk down. The  goods shed  was  immediately behind  the  narrow pier   with  large  sliding  doors and  a  small piped  steam  powered crane  for  unloading the  loose  cargo. This was put into slings as at home.  These sheds allowed the cargo to be loadedunder cover.  We  then walked  to  the passenger  station  got the  Holyhead  to London  Irish  Mail train  with  an enormous  steam  engine. We  changed  trains at  Chester  and got  a  train to  Leeds  where we  were  met by  my  uncle and  taken  in his  car  to Grandmas


I  started  to attend  the  local national  school  on Canal  Lane.  A fairly  large  school in  a  rural setting  about  half a  mile  from my  grandmas.  There were about 25 pupils in the class.  We had the one teacher a Mr.  Cuniff who  taught  all our  subjects  in the  one  class room.  Each  year or  class  had its  own  teacher in  a  separate room  so  you always  went  to the one  room.  There was  a  large assembly  hall  in the  centre  of the  building  and all  the  other classrooms  were  around the  sides.

  In  class the  day  started with  roll  call ,we then  all  recited the  Lords  Prayer and a  story  from the  bible  was read  by  a student,  each  student taking  it  in turns  on  successive days  to  do a  reading  so  everyone   got a  chance  to do  a  reading and  then  down to lessons.  Much  the same  lessons  as at  home  except we  learned  art and  painting  with water  colours.  We also  had  a sports  half  day consisting  of  exercise in  the  assembly hall.  Such  as vaulting  over  a wooden  horse  and leap  frog  etc.  Thegirls got specially togged out for this. Also in the playground playing cricket. As  it  was war  time  there was  an  air raid  shelter  beside the  school  and occasionally  there  was air  raid  drill. The  air  raid siren  would  sound and  we  would have  to  march into  the  shelter in  an  orderly fashion.  We  would sit  on  the long  benches  until the  all  clear sounded  and  then back  to  class. There  were  a  couple  of Irish  children  in  my  class called  Sweeney.  One day at P. T.  the master  told  me I  was  not standing  in  a straight  line  and told  me  to come  to  see him  in  the office  after  school.  On  getting  there he  took  out  a cane  and  gave me  a  couple of  whacks  on each  hand,  pretty sore.  I  thought the  punishment  was a  bit  over the  top, obviously   he was  in  bad humour.  My only time to getpunishment there.

I  had  a gas  mask  in  case  of a  poison  gas attack  and  you always  had  to have  it with  you at  all  times or  you  could be  fined.  The  A.R. P. ( air  raid  precaution) patrolled  the  streets  especially at  night  to see  that  the black  out  was being  observed  as  you  could not  show  any light  through  curtains or  doors  as it  may  be seen  by  German planes  and  could invite a  bomb.  Motor cars  also  had to  cover  their head  lights  and only  allowed  to have  a  few slits  cut  to barely  see  the road.  The  A. R. P. were volunteers,  consisting  of men  too  old or  men  medically unfit  for  the army.  They wore a blue uniform.


The  government   gave an  Anderson  air raid  shelter,  one between  every  two houses.  The householders had toassemble them themselves.  I  remember helping  to  dig the  hole  to put  it  in. One  night  the air  raid  siren went  off  at 11o’clock  at  night. We  all  had to  get  up and  go  to sit in the  shelter  until the  air  raid  was over.  The all clear went about 2am.  I could  hear  the thumps  of  either guns  or  bombs in  the  distance. I  was  not sent  to  school until  11o’clock  the next  day.  The master  was  very displeased  at  my late  arrival  and told  me  to be  on  time  in  future, how  could  we win  the  war if  we  stayed in  bed  every time  there  was an  air  raid.


The  war  in France  was  not going  well  so my  grandma  thought I  would  be safer  at  home. My  uncle  who  lived  with us  got  his call  up  papers to  report  immediately  to  the  army and  had  to close  his  business and  go  right away. He  said  there was a  danger of the Germans invadingEngland  This  left me  and  grandma alone  as  grandad had  previously  died. There were no telephones in Greenore,only one in the Post Office.  It wouldtake a week to send a letter home and get one back and by the time it wouldtake for someone to come and take me home it could be too late.  It was  the  time of  the  British army  evacuating  Dunkirk in  France.  I said  I  could go  home  myself as  I  knew the  way  as  I  came over  every  year even  though  I was  only  11.  Mygrandma. a lady with a good  can doattitude  took  me to  Leeds  railway station  and  put me  on  the train  for  Chester. There  I  changed trains  and  got on  the  London to   Holyhead  express which  stopped  right beside  the  mail boat  for  Dun Laoghaire.  It was just across the platform from the train.  I remember  on  the train  there  were a  lot  of soldiers  some  lying on  the  floor and  looking  they had  a  hard time.  They  had escaped  from  Dunkirk and  were  being dispersed  all  over England  to  rest and  be  re equipped.


On crossing the Irish sea, a nice sunny day the sailor inthe crows nest on the mast of the ship spotted a floating mine that would sinka ship if it struck it All ships had a crows nest during the war consisting ofwhat resembled a 40 gallon drum fixed high up on the mast and a sailor climbedinto and kept a look out with a pair of binoculars for any enemy ships orfloating mines. There as a fairly big gun on board and a couple of royal navysailors as there was on all British merchant ships during the war. The shipstopped to allow the sailors to try and shoot it. However the sailors were notgood shots and did not hit it after a few goes. The sailors got a bit of arazz  from  the deck  passengers  and the  ship  moved on  again  as it  was  dangerous to  stop  as it  made  an easier  target  for a  German  submarine should  there  be  one  around. We  arrived  safely in  Dun Laoighaire   and  I  got on  the  train for  Dublin  which was  just  beside the  ship.  The train  only  went as  far  as  Westland  Row station  and  I discovered  I  would have  to  get another  train  to Amiens  St.  Station. I  discovered  I would  have  to get  another  ticket but  on  inquiry told  it  was not  far  to walk  so  on being  told  a  few  directions I  set  off with  my  suit case  on  my  shoulder.  Although there  were  no street  names  as all  place  names signs  were  taken down  during  the war  so  as not  to  help an  invader, I  got there  with  no problem.  I got  the train  for  Dundalk as  I  had often  done  before with  my  mother and  one  more change  of  trains at  Dundalk  and on  to  the train  for  Greenore and  home  and back  to  school with  Miss  O’Hare in  Greenore.


Around  1943  there was  a  scholarship offered  by  Louth County  Council  of a  fortnight  in the  Gaeltacht  to learn  Irish  in Ranafast.  I  applied and   had  to go  to  the old  Grange  school house  on  my bicycle   beside  the railway  bridge  at  Rogan’s  Cross. I had to go upstairs where a Mr. Dennedy  asked  me a  few  questions in  Irish  and I  was  accepted. I  left  on the  Greenore  train with  another  boy  a  Liam Kearney  from  around Whitestown.  At  Dundalk station we  got  on  the  Bundoran Express  or  the Irish  North  as some  people  called it  which  travelled up  through  County Monaghan   and  got off  at  Letterkenny. There  we  got on  the  narrow gauge  Donegal  Railway train  which  took us  to  Crolly. The  train  was very  small  compared with  the  ordinary train  we  were used  to.  There we  were  put on  a  bus and  taken  to Ranafast.  Mr  Dennedy was  in  charge of  us  but we  did  not see  much  of him  as  he had  his  girl friend  with  him who  later  became his  wife.  On arrival  we  were sent  our  lodgings about  a  mile outside  Ranafast  and we  had  to attend  a  small college  called  St. Patricks. We  attended   class there  every  day for  about  two hours  to  learn Irish.  Most of the pupils werefrom Belfast and Northern Ireland.  Our teacher  was  also from  Belfast,  a humours  man  and good  fun  a good  teacher  but not  adverse  to using  the  odd focal  of  berla if  he  got stuck.


We  had  about 6  o  7 boys  in  our digs  which  were quite  good  We were  well  fed.  Acouple of times we had goat meat for dinner.  It  was  nice to  eat  and tasted  a  bit like  mutton.  There was  also  a boy  with  us from  Newry  called Phelim  McGuinness  and a  nephew  of Frank  Aiken.  The fire  place  in the  house  was a  big  open stone  hearth  and burned  only  turf with  a  couple of  hooks  hanging down  out  of the  chimney  to hang  pots  and a  big  kettle on.  The  fire was  set  in such  a  way that  the  kettle was  boiling  in the  mornings.  Water had  all  to be  carried  in from  a  nearby well,  no  electricity in  these  times, everyone  was  the same  except  for people  who  lived in  the  towns. The house was in the middle of turf bogs.  All the locals cut their own turf.  I remember  the  local shop  had  a good  supply  of American  chesterfield  cigarettes although  I  was never  overly  fond of  smoking  myself, as  the  American soldiers  were  stationed across  the  border in  Derry  and seemed  to  be short  of  nothing. I  remember  one young  man  who lived  nearby,  about 20  years  old who  went  around in  his  bare feet  all  day and  only  wore shoes  on  Sundays. Hard times during the war.


In  the  evenings we  would  walk into  Ranafast  to the  college  where there  was  a  Ceilidhe  where we  were  learned to  do  Irish dancing.   Some  nights there  was  a concert  with  some students  participating.  When the  time  came to  go  home I  was  sorry leaving.  I  never heard  of  any one  being  sent home  for  talking berla.


Some  time  when I  was  around 12 years  old  we moved  to  a bungalow  my  father had  in  Bellurgan for  about  3 months. It  was  beside where  the  furniture factory  now  stands I  never  inquired why  they  moved as  we  still had  the  house in  Greenore.  I was sent to Bellurgan N.S.  opposite the  old  church in  the  building at  present  occupied by  the  Credit Union  and  had to  walk  the mile  or  so to  school  every day.  School was much the same asin Greenore, just a    Mrs.  Reid from  Bellurgan  Point who  taught  all subjects  and  was not  too  hard on  the  pupils. I don’t remember her using the stick. She  had  some of  her  own family  there  and one  son  later became  a  priest.


   On  a wet  day  you  just   hung your  coat  in the  cloak   room  and  hoped  it would  be  dry The  fire  was just  turf  and sticks  and  smoked a  lot  the turf  was  usually wet,  no  coal. Greenore  was  lucky as  the  railway company  had  coal for  the  railway engines  and  supplied the  coal  to the  school  in Greenore.  The  coal was  scarce  owing to  the  war and    not  easy to  buy.    It was  quite  common for  a  cloud of  smoke  to be  about  6ft. over head  for  most of  the  day. We  had  to take  it  in turns  to  go across  the  road to  the  shed beside  the  chapel to  get  the turf  for  the fire  which  was used  for  a store.  On  a cold  day  we used  to  look forward  to  lunch time  to  get a  run  around the  school  yard to  get  warm. We  had  no electric  light  but we  always  seemed to  be  there in  day  light.  So   once again I returned toschool in Greenore. 


On  leaving  school I  was  sent to  the  Christian Brothers  in  Dundalk. They  learned  everything through  Irish  even English,  it  was not  for  me. I  got  my mother  to  take me  away  and send  me  to the  technical  school in  Chapel  Street in  Dundalk,  a very  good  school and  after  a year  there  I  got  a job  and  off to  serve  my apprenticeship  in  Castleblayney with a company who manufacturedfurniture called  McElroy Bros.

 While I wasattending the Tech in  Dundalk  at the time,  the  German planes  bombed  Belfast and a  German  plane dropped a  bomb  on Dundalk.  It landed beside thedocks   and Quay St.  Station and blew a large hole beside therailway line.  Fortunately  it did  not  do any  damage  as it  landed  where the  port  dumped all the  mud  they dredged  from  the dock.  However it left a largehole which filled with water like a small lake. The  railway  company put  on  a road  bus  for a  few  days from  Greenore  to Dundalk  until  they checked  for  damage to  the  line. I  remember  the noise  of  the planes  going  over Greenore  at  the time on  their  way to  bomb  Belfast. The  port  in  Greenore  was working  at  the time  and  someone said  put  out all  the  lights. However Mr.  Davis  the boss  at  the time  said  no leave  them  on. It  was  the right  decision  as there was  a  black out  in  Northern Ireland  and  might  have  confused the  German  pilots. As southern Irelandwas all lit up.  I  have no  regrets  about my  school  days and  compared  to today  we  could always  entertain  ourselves no  obese  school boys,  we  were always  active  and fit  never  bored.   


.                                    Eric Hynes dated: 11/1/11




view:  normal / recent topics
WelcomeTopicsPostsLast updated

General Discussion

over a year ago
by Michael Desmond Hynes

Eric Hynes's Schooldays

Schooldays and more

I first attended school in the national school in Greenore. The building has since being used as a bar known as The BROADWAY BAR. The end of the building under the school bell was used as the vill